MALE FERTILITY OR INFERTILITY
many of the nutritional supplements were found on: http://www.fertilinet.com
In about 40% of infertile couples, the cause of the infertility lies with the males. There are many reasons for male infertility. For couples who are trying to conceive, it only makes sense to have an evaluation done on the males fertility health when conception hasn’t occurred after 6 months.
There has been a tremendous amount of misinformation about the best way to time intercourse to increase the chance of conception. Most of this misinformation has come from physicians who have confused obtaining a standard semen analysis with promoting conception. It has been clearly shown, both with normal sperm counts and low sperm counts, that daily intercourse during the fertile period produces the highest pregnancy rates. You cannot “save it up” and you cannot have intercourse too often. The fertile period starts 6 days before ovulation and ends the day after ovulation.
Quick Fact: It takes approximately 72-90 days to produce mature sperm. Sperm is produced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There are many factors that can decrease or cease sperm production. Here are a few:
- Excessive Caffeine
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Street and certain Prescription Drugs
- Some over the counter medications
- Injury to the testicles
- Blockage in the Vas Deferens
- Excessive Heat to the testicles
- Vitamin Deficiencies
- Varicocele:a varicose enlargement of the veins of the spermatic cord that may cause infertility through a significant decrease in the quality and quantity of the sperm.
Normal semen values as outlined by the World Health Organization are as follows:
|Sperm Concentration (million/mL)||
|Forward Progression (0-4)||
|Normal Morphology (%) (WHO)||
|Normal Morphology (%) (Strict)||
|Total Sperm Count (million)||
|Total Motile Sperm (million)||
|Total Functional Sperm (million)||
Morphology-Normal and Abnormal Forms
|Normal Forms||Abnormal Forms|
Improving Male Fertility
There are natural ways to improve male fertility.
There are few common rules to start with.
1. Limit or eliminate caffeine intake.
2. Stop smoking
3. Stop Recreational Drugs
4. Wear Loose Underwear (boxers)
5. Stay out of Hot Tubs
6. Quit drinking alcoholic beverages
Guaifenesin (Plain Robitusson-no letter extensions) can improve motility by thinning out the semen allowing for your guys to swim up stream easier. Vitamin C and Zinc can also help.
Acupuncture has been proven in numerous clinical trials to have a profound effect on increasing sperm count and motility. In a study, researchers looked at the effects of acupuncture on the structural health of sperm in men with infertility of unknown cause. (Dr Jian Pei, Fertility and Sterility, July 2005, Vol 84, Issue1, pp. 141-7)
Twenty-eight infertile men received acupuncture treatments twice a week for five weeks, and 12 received no treatment and served as a comparison group.
Researchers analyzed sperm samples at the beginning and end of the study and found significant improvements in sperm quality in the acupuncture group compared with the other group.
Acupuncture treatment was associated with fewer structural defects in the sperm and an increase in the number of normal sperm in ejaculate.
But other sperm abnormalities, such as immature sperm or sperm death, were unaffected by acupuncture.
The researchers write that acupuncture treatment is a simple, noninvasive method that can improve sperm quality.
The importance of a healthy diet cannot be overstated. To function properly, the reproductive system requires the proper vitamins and minerals. Nutritional deficiencies can impair hormone function, inhibit sperm production, and contribute to the production of abnormal sperm.
• Eat a natural foods diet that focuses on fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
• Drink ½ of body weight in ounces of water daily (e.g., a 150 lb man would drink 75 oz of water).
• Eliminate processed and refined foods (e.g., white flour), junk food, sugars, alcohol, and caffeine.
• Avoid saturated fats and hydrogenated oils (e.g., margarine); use olive oil.
• Pumpkin seeds are naturally high in zinc and essential fatty acids which are vital to healthy functioning of the male reproductive system. Eat ¼ to ½ cup a day of pumpkin seeds to help maintain a healthy reproductive system.
The following supplements have been shown to increase sperm count and/or motility. Allow 3-4 months for the supplements to work.
• Coenzyme Q10—Increases sperm count and motility.
• Flaxseed oil—Take 1 tbsp daily. Is a source of essential fatty acids.
• Selenium-Improves sperm motility.
• Vitamin B-12
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin E
• Zinc-Required for a healthy male reproductive system and sperm production.
e-mail: email@example.com to schedule an appointment today.